Below you will find some interesting popcorn facts relating to the nutrtional value of poporn, popcorn consumption, and some historical popcorn facts. Popcorn is a very popular and nutritional snack. So read and enjoy, and then pop up some popcorn for yourself.
-Popcorn is a whole grain that contains 40 or more nutrients.
-The germ in the popcorn kernel contains all of the B complex vitamins, plus vitamin E, Riboflavin and Thiamine.
-Popcorn has more protein than any other cereal grain
-Popcorn has more iron than eggs, peanuts, spinach, or roast beef!
-The hull and outer layers are rich in iron, phosphorous and protein.
-Popcorn has more phosphorous and fiber than potato chips, ice cream cones, or pretzels
-Popcorn is a colorie counter's delight! Unbuttered popcorn only has between 25 and 55 calories per cup.
Popcorn, a well known "funfood", is considered a wholesome snack by leading medical associations and nutrition professionals:
- The American Dental Association recommends popcorn as a sugar-free snack. Popcorn is listed by the ADA as a suggested sugar free, fat free, and low in calories snack along with several other notables such as apples, pears, celery, plain yogurt, nuts and cheese.
-The National Cancer Institute(NCI), the federal government's cancer prevention agency, suggests fiber in the diet to reduce the risk of some forms of cancer and the American Dietetic Association recommends popcorn as a high fiber snack food in their list of " 10 Great Ways to Fiber Up!" The National Institue of Dental and Craniofacial Research lists popcorn as a smart, low/no-sugar snack. The American Diabetes Association and the American dietetic Association permit popcorn as a starch exchange on weight-control diets, and the Feingold Diet for hyeractive children permits popcorn because it contains no artificial additives.
- Because popcorn contributes to the overall health and maintenance of the body, the American Diabetes Association permit popcorn as a bread exchange on weight control diets.
- Popcorn is listed third out of a list of 11 as eleven Things That Don't Cause Cancer.
-Pocorn aids digestion by providing necessary roughage, also known as fiber.
The experts agree. Popcorn is all-around "good" food-healthy, economical and tasty.
Historical Popcorn Facts:
- The oldest ears of popcorn ever found were discovered in the Bat Cave of west central New Mexico in 1948 and 1950. Ranging from smaller than a penny to about 2 inches, the oldest Bat Cave ears are about 4000 years old.
- Approximately 70 percent of popped popcorn is eaten in the home(home popped and pre-popped), and about 30 percent outside the home(Theatres, stadiums, schools, etc.). Unpopped popcorn accounts for approximentey 90 percent of sales for home popcorn consumption.
- In the early 1980's, microwave popcorn was born into the popcorn family. Today, more than 80 percent of US consumers households own microwaves - that's over 73 million microwaves in homes alone!
- Americans consume 17 billion quarts of popcorn annually or 59 quarts per person. It is one of the most wholesome and economical foods available!
- The biggest popcorn producing states are Illinois and Indiana.
We hope you have enjoyed our various popcorn facts.
For more information on the benefits of eating popcorn in relationship to diabetes, go see popcorn and diabetes.
You may reprint this article. If you would like to post it to your website, please include our information as stated:
Article presented by www.standardconcessionsupply.com Variety of popcorn machines and popcorn supplies for home and business use. Popcorn gift items that make great gifts for birthdays, special occasions, and the Holidays.
For a large selection of our gourmet popcorn and other popcorn items, head over to our popcorn supplies store.